Saturday, February 23, 2013

NA NA NA

NA NA NA is something you hear kids say, but rarely do you see it written.  I honestly don't think I've ever had a first grader write it before, before this week, that is....




When originally planned, my bridge class was supposed to be made up of high first graders who could handle such a challenging learning environment.  Theories are always nice!  Actually I ended up having quite a few first graders who are socially and emotionally immature.  Take for instance my Na Na Na student.  This boy is incredibly smart!  Though only a first grader, he is already reading at least at the 3rd grade level (probably higher since the last time I tested him.)   BUT, he is emotionally a four-year old.  When he gets upset, he not only cries, but often HOWLS.  The last time he howled, the teacher to the right of me came over to check on us, while another teacher 2 doors down the other way texted me to make sure we were ok- it was that loud!

Recently a new girl joined our class.  I didn't realize that he had a problem with her specifically, until we found this lovely note laying on her desktop when she returned from the restroom.  She wasn't gone long, but he took the opportunity to write this note and put it on her desk before she returned.  I didn't catch him in the act, but I knew exactly who wrote it without even having to ask.  I do consider myself something of a handwriting guru, much to his dismay!

I asked him why he wrote it, and with tears in his eyes he only said, "It was an accident".  I tried so hard not to laugh (while hoping he wouldn't start howling).  He "accidentally" wrote this note and sneaked it on her desktop while I wasn't looking.  What was the purpose!  She is indeed a little girl! So na, na, na, na, na, na, na!  Hmmm....maybe he has a crush on her!

The girl took it well, since he didn't actually write anything bad.  But he will have to face some consequences for his actions.  Another fun day in the crazy bridge class!  Na na na!







No comments:

Post a Comment