Friday, February 1, 2013

DATA & CHANGES

Today was a Staff Development Day. After a month straight of testing and data,  I admit that I really wasn't looking forward to analyzing more data. But I took away something very valuable. I am blessed to work at a school where the staff comes together as a whole, working together, to help our students succeed. Teachers of all grades, not just the ones that are state-tested, are claiming ownership of all students and data. It was a neat realization.  My school is awesome!

                                                (We are all-STAARS!)



Yesterday marked the beginning of a wonderful change for me and my class.  I have been struggling for quite some time with teaching Math to two grades in the time it takes for one.  Needless to say, the students were not achieving the level of success that they should have been.  Now I will have an aide in my room for 45 minutes during Math. I am so excited!  This means that my second graders will be able to have more of their district required instruction without the class having to give up our regular Science time to do it!  (I think I just heard my favorite 5th grade Science teacher breathe a huge sigh of relief to hear that!)  It also means that my first graders will have better supervision and assistance during their Math centers while I am teaching 2nd grade their core instruction. Let's just say that I have a few very immature first graders that have not been able to handle the amount of self-direction and small-group learning that a bridge class requires.  Having another pair of hands (and eyes) will be wonderful!!

I also learned this week that my school is purchasing the istation individualized reading computer program that I have been wishing for. All of my students will benefit from this awesome program!  I can't wait to see how high their Reading scores soar!

Now I'm off to plan for Science lessons and activities.  Yay!  Perfect timing as our Science Fair is coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment