Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TRASH POLICE


Few things really take me by surprise in the classroom.  But the trash cans have just thrown me for a loop!  Over the last few weeks, we have found all sorts of important things in the classroom trash cans.  First it was a backpack.  I assumed it was because one child was mad at another and decided to play a mean trick on her.  But then someone else's jacket was put in the trash, a purse, a school box, a textbook, etc...  All random personal items thrown into the trash can at various times of the day.  I couldn't figure out WHO would do such a thing!  Each thing being thrown away came from a different student.  The only thing they had in common is that the owner was typically disorganized, so it is highly likely that their things were on the floor at some point.  Maybe I have a neat freak in the room who thinks that everything on the floor is trash!  I don't know!  I narrowed it down to the 3 new students I received in January (my classroom is a revolving door!).  Of those, I believe I have narrowed it down to one student, but without catching him in the act, he would never admit to such a thing, even if I could get him to talk!

So, now we have no trash cans for the students in my room.  I put a small plastic bucket on each group of desks, and when it gets full, I allow one trustworthy student to check the bucket, and then pour the contents into the regular trash cans now hidden behind my desk.  I can officially add "Trash Police" to my many titles.




No comments:

Post a Comment