Sunday, January 27, 2013

MATH WITH LEMONS

     Recently I discovered a fantastic blogger by the name of Amy Lemons.  She teaches 2nd grade here in Texas and creates the most incredible classroom materials!  If you are an elementary teacher, her blog is a must-see!  She sells her lessons on www.teacherspayteachers.com, but often gives things away for free.


Button
(click to visit her blog)


     What caught my attention this past week is her fantastic money unit.  My second graders just finished money, but I still have 2 students who need more practice with it.  My first graders are starting money this week.  

     Why didn't you do them at the same time, you ask?  Good question!  I'm trying to do things the district's way.  No, I don't think it's very effective, but I am supposed to meet with a district director very soon about how to teach a bridge class more effectively, and Math is my main agenda item!  If I am to teach a bridge class next year, I will be doing things very differently, particularly in Math.  Using more of Amy Lemons' Math units will be an integral part of that!

     Back to the money, the curriculum that my district uses teaches new concepts in one day, and then offers no repeated practice or review of the material.  Using Amy Lemon's Money Unit will be a great asset to all of my students.  Learning to count money takes practice, practice, practice!  

     Click on the picture to visit her TPT store:  

                       


     Speaking of TPT, it is a fantastic place for teachers to buy and sell classroom lessons!  I have my own little store with a few things on it.  Someday I will take the time to go clip-art crazy with my activities, but for now, simple works for me.  Some teachers have made more than $100,000 selling their work on TPT, and one even hit the million mark!  Incredible!











No comments:

Post a Comment