Friday, August 8, 2014

PINTEREST BOOKSHELVES

This summer I decided to tackle a neat looking pinterest project for my classroom!  I needed new bookshelves and pinterest is filled with crafts using Mod Podge, so I gave it a try!  I am happy to report that the project was a great success!

I found the best instructions on Pretty Well Organized, and went for it!

First stop, Target!  These 3 shelf bookcases are around $20.  Walmart sells a similar one, but they are shorter.  


Next stop, Hobby Lobby!   I first chose this gingham fabric to match my other gingham curtains in my classroom.  Then I thought about how hard it might be to Mod Podge this while keeping the lines straight (it would bother me if they ended up crooked!)  So, I put the gingham back and found these:

Nice colors, and no worries about keeping any lines straight!  Each bookcase needed 3/4 of a yard of fabric.

I also needed these supplies.  The Mod Podge and foam brush were at Hobby Lobby, but the smoother was a Lowe's for less than $2.

I laid the fabric on the cardboard bookshelf backing, then folded about 1/2 back.  I spread the Mod Podge on 1/2 of the backing, then put the fabric on top of the Mod Podge.

Smooth out any wrinkles.  Repeat with the other 1/2.   Allow to dry for at least an hour, and then trim the excess fabric.  Attach backing to the bookshelf per the directions.


And here is the finished product!  Four beautiful bookcases for my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment