Saturday, August 8, 2015

BACK TO SCHOOL?

Most people do not realize that while teachers start on a certain date, we actually have to go in earlier to prepare our classrooms.  We are usually given one day for prep during our first week back, but I use that day for lesson planning and first day/first week prep.  I really count on having a week of working in my classroom before I officially start working.  Some teachers can do it in two days, but I like to take 4-5 partial days to take my time and ease back in.  This year I really need to have extra time in my classroom because most of the teachers in my building have changed classrooms, including me.   It will take us extra time to unpack, setup, and decorate!

However, with my school being under construction and the custodial staff behind a bit, I won't have as many days as I would like to set up my classroom.  My school friends and I are trying not to get overly stressed about this, but as our start date approaches that gets harder and harder!

I have a Back to School tradition when I change classrooms.  I put one student desk in the center of the room and I sit on top of it.  I visualize my classroom and the possibilities of where everything should go.  I move around to sit on each side of the desktop.  Sometimes I play music, sometimes I just sit in silence.  It's a peaceful moment, probably the most peaceful moment of the entire school year.  Sitting in a packed up room, imagining the possibilities of the coming year, it's an exciting time!  I am looking forward to that moment in my new classroom.  I need that moment.  My new classroom has far less storage than my previous room, and it has four poles in the middle of the room from ceiling to floor.  My room used to be a computer lab, so the four poles have electrical outlets at the bottom.



I think it's important to show parents and students that you are ready for the new school year at the Meet the Teacher Night.  If the classroom is unpacked and decorated, then it's a welcoming and friendly environment.  If my room is decorated and ready, I feel like the year will start off right!

 A teacher friend suggested that if we don't have time to unpack, then we could cover the pile of boxes in the back.  Maybe I'll get a colorful plastic tablecloth (or several!) just in case.  If I don't have time to unpack everything, I can hide it!  "What's that mountain under the tablecloth?"  "Why, it's a surprise for later!"  It will be a surprise when everything's unpacked!  LOL!

I have helpers lined up to come in once we get the ok to enter the building.  My husband will put paper and border on all the bulletin boards, and he and my kids can help put my classroom library together.  I have a massive classroom library that is great for first graders!  Between my own large collection of books, I have also inherited two retiring teachers' class libraries!  I will probably have too many books (*sharp intake of breath*, too many books? Is there such a thing in a first grade classroom?)  Maybe I will share some, but I need to unpack first and see what I have!  :)

Here's hoping I can get into my classroom soon, before school starts!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment