Sunday, May 31, 2015

MOVING

     Earlier this year, my principal sent out an email asking everyone where they would like to be next year, and if they were happy where they were at.  I replied that I was happy teaching 3rd grade Math/Science, and would like to stay in my current position.  Sadly, my position ended up being eliminated thanks to the cost-cutting measures of my district:  Let's make a combo class out of 3rd and 4th grade and cut a teacher.   The hardest part is putting 3rd and 4th graders together in one room, and still requiring the teacher to teach EVERYTHING the state and district says they have to know to both sets of kids, AND still expect both sets of kids to pass the STAAR (which is actually five different STAAR tests between the two grades).  It will be very difficult for the students and the teachers.

     So where am I to go?  I was told I was moving to 3rd grade Dual Language, where I would teach 3 classes of Math, and one class of English Writing.  This idea was not very exciting to me.  Sure, it would have been an easier year with a lot less prep.   But once you're in Dual Language, it's hard to go back to Regular Program because they have spent money training you for the position.  I have a Masters Degree in Science Education, so the thought of never teaching Science again was actually depressing!   But, I love my school and need a job, so I figured I'd just have to go with it.
No more Science for me??


     Then Friday happened.  Friday, Friday, crazy Friday.  The district got involved and said some changes had to be made, so some major changes were made.  We were originally supposed to have 6 Pre-K classes next year, thanks to the Universal Pre-K program our district has started (hence the massive construction going on at my school.)  Later they came back and said we only get 4 Pre-K classes due to numbers, but on Friday they said only 2, although we know it will be more than that by August because of late enrollment.  This caused a lot of movement among the teachers.  Some good, some strange, and some downright terrible.  It was a rough day for a lot of teachers. Some who were told they could stay in their current spot have to change grades, some who were told they were moving to one grade are now moving to another grade, and one very dear friend has to be moved to the "surplus" list until a position can be found for her.  It was a bad day.

     For me, however, things turned out ok!  I wasn't expecting this change, but now I welcome it!  I am going back to First Grade!  First Grade is my first love.  I taught First Grade for 12 years.  My last year in First was the crazy 1/2 combo class and I needed a change after that.  I went to 3rd grade Math/Science for the past 2 years.  I believe that First Grade is the hardest grade to teach.  Yes, 3rd grade has the STAAR test and the extreme pressure of that, but team teaching means you can focus on just a few subjects, which is really nice.  First Grade not only teaches all subjects, but is the core of helping a child learn to read.  Teaching a child to read is a skill that will last a lifetime.  It is a privilege and an honor to teach a child to read.  It is also a lot of very hard work!

    I am looking forward to the new year.  I met my new team (which is also partly my old team) at school on Saturday and we will work very well together, so that is good.  Someone has already offered to take me on a shopping spree to Mardel's!  New classroom needs new, fun things!  It's going to be a busy summer getting back into the First Grade Life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment