Monday, September 3, 2012

SUB PLANS

Can a sub take on a dual grade class?  Sure!  I made THREE plans in case I am out!


PLAN A:
     I never leave for the day until the next day's work pile is 100% ready to go.  I had a college professor instill in me that you never know what's going to happen- you could get into a car accident on the way to work, or get sick during the night.  Always be prepared!  So, if I am out one day, the sub will do my Plan A sub lessons.  Basically just doing the work piled up on my desk, with detailed instructions on how to follow the schedule the best they can.  Hopefully by the time I need a sub, my students will really know the routines and can help the sub follow the plan.


PLAN B:
     If I have to be out a second day, I would be unable to make my wonderfully organized pile of work for a second day's absence.  So I created Plan B Sub lessons!  Instead of the regular reading lessons, there are instructions under the reading block to "Choose a book activity from the Sub Tub to do whole group", same message for all the subjects.  In my "Sub Tub", I will leave many different activities (almost all based around a children's book) for the sub to be able to pick up and use. 


PLAN C:
     Several times during the year, my district faces sub shortages and my class will have to be split up among the other first and second grade teachers if I am sick.  In my Plan C section of the Sub Tub, I will leave enough class copies of work for the students to do during the day (some of them will be sent into SPANISH SPEAKING classrooms, so they really must have their own work to do as they cannot participate much in those classrooms).  This is a great time for color, cut, and glue activities.  There is also a note to have the students take their Reading Books with them so they can continue to improve with the current story. 


Planning for subs takes extra work, but the smoother the day for the subs, the better the day for the students!  

No comments:

Post a Comment