Sunday, September 23, 2012

DONORS CHOOSE

Last year I was introduced to the website of DonorsChoose.org.  Teachers can request items for their classrooms, and people (known and unknown!) will donate!  It's an incredible resource for teachers!  Last year my students were blessed with an iPod Touch with case, listening center with headphones, and a set of K-1 Math Centers.  This fall, my new class not only can use those items, but they also have access to my 2 year subscription to Raz-Kids.com, courtesy of the fantastic donors at DonorsChoose.  It's a truly wonderful Reading website.  Each student has their own log-in, and reads books at their assigned level.  They take quizzes on each book, and I am notified if there is a problem (such as  "______ failed the last 6 inferencing questions", very good information to know!)  The students love Raz-Kids because they accumulate points to spend for their virtual room (Raz Rocket).  I love watching their growth and seeing their excitement over Reading!






     This week I found out that KIA Motors is matching gifts at DonorsChoose, so I went ahead and requested Math Slams for my classroom.  They are an electronic flashcard game.  My students have to memorize their Math Facts (First grade had addition, Second grade reviews addition and then moves to subtraction).  Memorizing Math facts has long been a boring activity for my students, and flashcards are soon lost.  I hope this will help them master their facts quickly!  I know they will have a fun time learning them this way!



No comments:

Post a Comment