Saturday, February 13, 2016

SIGHT WORDS

Sight words are vital to becoming a better reader!  I test my students using a Dolch sight word checklist several times a year, usually about every other month or so. There are 11 word lists, with 20 words on a list.  I use the checklist to keep track of what my students know, make word cards for the ones they missed, and put their current word list in their Take Home Folder for daily practice.  Sounds easy enough, but can be time-consuming to get it all done!
I have used this blue plastic school box for YEARS to hold my blank cards and sharpies!  I keep it on my Reading Table in case I need to make a new word card at any moment, and I take it home when it's time to make new ones for everyone.  I love this school box!  You can't buy them like this anymore!  It's very sturdy and hasn't cracked yet!

I have 27 students for Reading this year.  So this pile has 27 baggies with sight word cards!  While I know this is a very worthwhile use of my personal time, I am very glad I only have to do this a few times a year!  



No comments:

Post a Comment