Saturday, December 14, 2013

FIRST CLUB DAY

Our first club day was a huge hit!  The students and the teachers LOVED it!

We had one small issue overall, getting the Kinder and First Grade students to/from their clubs smoothly, which I had foreseen (having taught first graders for 12 years!) and attempted 6 or 7 different remedies and guidelines to prevent the chaos, or at least limit it.  Some of my recommendations were denied by higher up, ignored, or just not taken very seriously. Afterwards I was approached about needing to fix that area of the club process.  Needless to say, I wasn't very happy to hear that.  I expected some confusion with the younger ones, but had more of the ideas been followed, there would have been very little chaos at all.  I'm sure the next time will be much smoother though.  We live and learn.  But overall, this was really a small issue.

I had 2nd and 3rd grade students in my puzzle club. We talked briefly about different strategies (sorting edges, or by color, etc...) Then I let the students choose their puzzle and group.  Several chose a 24 piece puzzle, and the rest chose a 100 piece puzzle. Even with 4 people on the 100 piece puzzles, it was hard to get done in less than 45 minutes.  I have some 300 and 500 piece puzzles that will take several days to complete. I bought a roll-up puzzle mat, but I'm also going to use poster board under the puzzles so we can save them to finish during the next week's club.

As I walked around to each group, I was amazed at how many of the students did not have experience putting puzzles together. Two boys were struggling with a 24 piece penguin puzzle.  After I helped them with strategy and a few pieces, it was so neat to hear their excitement a little while later when they finished it!  They asked to do a harder one next time!

I really enjoyed my Puzzle Club, and I also enjoyed hearing my Homeroom students return from their clubs brimming with excitement about their clubs: Paper Crafts, Handyman, Healthful Living, Origami, Dance and Rhythm, Author Study, Board Games, and even my Puzzle Club!  They can't wait for next time!

I'd say the Clubs are indeed a huge hit!


No comments:

Post a Comment